This is the image that most people on the streets have when they heard about “printers connected to the internet without a good password do get hacked”.
But this could be far more serious. Most printers these days are multifunctional devices. They print, scan and copy. But the device is nothing more than a PC with a printer and scanner. It has its internal hard drive installed. It stores the job you selected mostly for audit reasons. All data remains available for some time depending on the settings and disk space capacity. On now it’s connected to the internet.
Can you imagine the danger when confidential documents got scanned/copied/printed?
- Imagine a hacker that wants to create a Wikileak.
- Imagine a hacker selling the techinal info to the competition of your company.
- Imaging HR printing out the pay slips.
- Imagine the hospital printing out the patient health records.
- Imagine the bank printing out your bank details.